[bcbirdclub] Fw: [Va-bird] Bald Eagles at Claytor Lake

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:24:48 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Herdfanmark@xxxxxxx
To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 10:07 PM
Subject: [Va-bird] Bald Eagles at Claytor Lake

Greetings,
                This evening around 3:00 I noticed a large bird circling over
the water, a 2nd year Bald Eagle.  While I was watching it I also noticed 2
other Bald Eagles in the vicinity, I watched all 3 as they moved off to the
north. Then another Bald Eagle comes into view, Oh there are 2 more, and
another!  In about 30 minutes I counted 7 Bald Eagles from my back deck.  So I
thought it might be a good time to go for a ride on the lake.  I went south
about 10 miles and found 5 more Bald Eagles.  I don't know if any of the last 5
were repeats or not. However you add them up that's a bunch of Eagles, and the
most I have ever seen here in a single evening.
    Also seen were 4 Osprey,1 Cooper's Hawk, at least  50 Blue-winged Teal, 2
Great Egrets, and 4 Double-Crested Cormorant.

                     Good Birding,

                     Mark Mullins

                     Claytor Lake, Va