[bcbirdclub] Evening Grosbeak

  • From: Bob Sweaney <kypm62@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buch birding <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:50:36 -0500

The discussion of Evening Grosbeaks really caught my attention.

   Over here in Pike County, Ky., I've only seen them at my feeders twice. The
first time we lived at Ashcamp at the base of Pine Mountain---starting on
January 28, 1978 and for about a week we had one at our feeder. (That was a
brutal January---we hit minus 18 at Elkhorn City---and there was one hour of
school for the whole month.) Then here on Chloe Creek near Pikeville one showed
up just for one day on January 28, 1996. It was cold that day too.

   So I've been hoping to see one at the feeders this winter.

   Two things I remember about them was that my wife spotted the first one
while I was at work and told me that there was a "goldfinch on steroids" at the
feeder.  The other is---the only time that I've seen a "flock" of them was
around my uncle's house in Sturgis, South Dakota.

   One other item---we had a red winged blackbird at our feeder a couple of
weeks ago.

Bob Sweaney

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390709/direct/01/