[bcbirdclub] Dissecting The Dawn Chorus

  • From: roger mayhorn <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 23:15:27 -0400 (EDT)

I got up just at dawn this morning (Thursday) and decided to sit on the porch
and listen to the dawn chorus of bird songs. It wasn't easy picking out the
individual songs from among the flock , all singing at the same time. I
recorded only the birds heard including the hum of 20 or more hummingbirds at
our feeders. The first bird that caught my attention was a Whip-poor-will, and
it went from there. After listening for awhile I decided to expand the area to
include the yard and my little birding trail that runs around the property. I
didn't record birds that were silent, like the pair of Eastern Bluebirds that
were hunting quietly for insects in the grass. A couple of the birds were hard
to hear until I got close, like the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and the chip of the
Yellow-rumped Warbler. The three Baltimore Orioles that stopped by a few days
ago were still around with one male singing constantly. A recently arrived
Great Crested Flycatcher called throughout the morning, and the rather rough
sound of a Scarlet Tanager's song came from the nearby woods. The songs of the
Hooded Warblers, Indigo Buntings and American Redstarts were food for the soul
on a sunny spring morning. A Brown Thrasher fooled me for awhile into thinking
I was hearing part of a Wood Thrush song, but a few minutes later I did hear
one from farther down in the woods.
Listening to birdsong was a great way to spend the first part of the morning.
(The complete list is below)

(Listed In the order the birds were heard)36 speciesWhip-poor-willYellow
WarblerPurple MartinsAmerican RobinsBaltimore Orioles - 2 males,
1femaleCarolina WrensNorthern CardinalsTree SwallowsBrown ThrasherTufted
TitmiceAmerican CrowGray CatbirdRuby-throated Hummingbirds - 20
+Yellow-throated WarblerMourning DoveWood ThrushBlue JayCarolina ChickadeeHouse
FinchesRed-bellied WoodpeckersHooded WarblersYellow-throated
VireoOvenbirdRed-eyed VireoIndigo BuntingsEastern TowheesYellow-rumped
WarblerBlue-gray GnatcatcherChipping SparrowsNorthern FlickerSong
SparrowsScarlet TanagerCommon GrackleAmerican RedstartGreat Crested
FlycatcherWhite-breasted Nuthatch