[bcbirdclub] eBird -- Breaks bird walk May 10, 2014

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 11:52:45 -0400

     Today my daughters and I went to the Breaks to lead their bird walk for
Migratory Bird Day.  I suppose most everyone looked at the forecast and decided
today wouldn't be ideal for a bird walk so we were the only three participants.
 The people may not have shown but luckily the birds did.  Birding mostly from
the car, we managed forty-two species with some FOS notables for me.  They were
Eastern Wood-Peewee (heard 2), Great-crested Flycatcher (1 seen and heard) and
as we were leaving I heard two Common Yellowthroats singing past the golf
course. I'm not sure about the name but there's a small pond there and David
Raines has told me, but now I can't recall?Our list follows.

Daryl, Alyssa & Emma Owens,
Oakwood VA

May 10, 2014
Breaks Interstate Park
1 Black Vulture
1 Turkey Vulture
3 Mourning Dove
2 Chimney Swift
1 Belted Kingfisher
2 Red-bellied Woodpecker
1 Downy Woodpecker
1 Pileated Woodpecker
2 Eastern Wood-Pewee
2 Eastern Phoebe
1 Great Crested Flycatcher
11 Red-eyed Vireo
2 Blue Jay
3 American Crow
1 Common Raven
1 Northern Rough-winged Swallow
2 Barn Swallow
2 Carolina Chickadee
2 Tufted Titmouse
1 White-breasted Nuthatch
3 Carolina Wren
2 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
1 Eastern Bluebird
4 Wood Thrush
4 Gray Catbird
2 Northern Parula
4 Black-throated Green Warbler
4 Yellow-throated Warbler
2 Black-and-white Warbler
4 American Redstart
6 Ovenbird
2 Common Yellowthroat
8 Hooded Warbler
3 Eastern Towhee
11 Chipping Sparrow
2 Song Sparrow
4 Scarlet Tanager
6 Northern Cardinal
1 Indigo Bunting
3 Common Grackle
2 Brown-headed Cowbird
3 American Goldfinch

,05/10/2014
,L718336
,,
,,
,,
,11:23
,,
,,
,Traveling
,3
,120
,Y
,3
,,
,"Breaks Interstate Pk migratory bird day.  My daughters and we're supposed to
lead the walk but due weather no one showed.  We birded mostly from the car.
Conditions were cool (low 60's) and cloudy. <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for
iOS, version 1.7.1"
TC001193,1|
TC001194,1|
TC002542,3|