[bcbirdclub] Close call and Purple Finches

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:08:45 -0500

This morning on the NASA channel I watched the blast off of the Atlas rocket
carrying the car sized Mars Rover called Curiosity to Mars. It is supposed to
land there in August of 2012. With about 4 minutes left in the count down I
watched as what looked like a Northern Harrier hunted the marsh near the
rocket. Fortunately, by the time the rocket actually got off the ground the
bird was long gone or at least was out of camera view.

In my own yard this morning were two female or juvenile male Purple Finches
feeding with the goldfinches, chickadees and titmice.