[bcbirdclub] Clifton Birding

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 23:02:38 -0500

Hi All,
Thanks to Buchanan County Bird Club member, Tom Hunter, yesterday Don Carrier
and I got to see and photograph the Great White Heron that Tom had recently
found in Russell County. The bird was near the confluence of the Little River
and Clinch River very near to the spot where it was located originally. The
Great White Heron or white morph of the Great Blue Heron is common only in the
Florida Keys, and is a rare visitor to Virginia. Congratulations to Tom for a
great find.

After finding the heron the three of us spent the rest of the day birding the
Clifton area. We found 43 species, but we were surprised at the number of
individual birds of each species - 32 Common Ravens, 27 Eastern Meadowlarks, 10
Red-tailed Hawks, 41 Killdeer, 70 Cedar Waxwings, 15 Northern Mockingbirds and
3 Loggerhead Shrikes. We had a total of 586 individual birds for the day.
Here is a photo of the Great White Heron with the complete day's list following.

43 species (586 birds)

American Crow 48

American Goldfinch 34

American Kestrel 7

American Robin 20

Belted Kingfisher 2

Black Vulture 19

Blue Jay 6

Carolina Chickadee 2

Carolina Wren 2

Cedar Waxwing 70

Common Raven 32

Cooper's Hawk 1

Downy Woodpecker 5

Eastern Bluebird 29

Eastern Meadowlark 27

Eastern Towhee 2

European Starling 33

Field Sparrow 1

Fox Sparrow 1

Great Blue Heron 7

Great White Heron 1

Hairy Woodpecker 1

Hermit Thrush 1

Killdeer 41

Loggerhead Shrike 3

Mallard 2m

Mourning Dove 78

Northern Cardinal 5 (2m, 3f)

Northern Flicker 3

Northern Mockingbird 15

Pileated Woodpecker 1

Red-bellied Woodpecker 4

Red-tailed Hawk 10

Red-winged Blackbird 1f

Savannah Sparrow 1

Song Sparrow 24

Tufted Titmouse 2

Turkey Vulture 7

White-breasted Nuthatch 2

White-crowned Sparrow 8 (5 adults, 3 imm)

White-throated Sparrow 12

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2

Yellow-rumped Warbler 14

Red Fox 1