[bcbirdclub] Cliff Swallows at Weir Dam since late 1990's

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don Carrier" <donc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 07:45:25 -0400

The nesting colony of Cliff Swallows at Emmitt Bridge, just below the weir dam
on the South Fork Holston River in Sullivan County, TN had 375 nests 13 May
2000 (Coffey).

Birds have nested there back into the late 90's.

bristol-birds] Re: Cliff Swallows return
  a.. From: "Mary J. Erwin" <maryerwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  b.. To: "'bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  c.. Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:19:12 -0400
On Saturday (4-27-02) while birding with Judy Roach, Loraine Hale and Bert Hale
in the River Bend area downstream from the weir, we saw Cliff swallows flying
around the Hwy 44? bridge that crosses the S. Fork of Holston.

Mary Erwin
From:   Wallace Coffey Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 8:54 PMTo: 1-A
Bristol-BirdsSubject: [bristol-birds] Cliff Swallows returnBristol-Birders:The
Cliff Swallows of Cappucaino retuned in great style last week.On Friday, while
birding at Emmet Bridge which the highway crosses just below the downstream tip
of Osceola Island near the Weir Dam, there were an estimated 300 or more Cliff
Swallows swarming like gnats over the South Fork Holston River.Scores of them
were flying in an out of the hundreds of Cliff Swallow nests which remain
beneath the bridge from last year's breeding season.On Saturday, during the
Herndon TOS Chapter annual spring count, not one bird could be located in the
area.Wallace CoffeyBristol

[Bristol-Birds] Cliff Swallows, House Wren eastern Sullivan Co.
From: "Wallace Coffey"
To: "Bristol-birds"
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:02:39 -0400
20 April 2007 Weir Dam South Holston TVA Reservation South Fork Holston River
Bufflehead 6
Cliff Swallow ~ 300 swirling about bridge over river at traditional nesting
colony (first Northeast
Tennessee record for this spring). Trammel Rd Pond at Sinking Creek bridge
Bristol, TN Great Egret 2
Green Heron 1 Let's go birding....... Wallace Coffey Bristol, TN

Bristol-Birds] Big Cliff Swallow colony in Southwest VA.
  a.. From: "Wallace Coffey"
  b.. To: "Bristol-birds"
  a.. Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 21:53:40 -0400
Today while birding at South Holston Lake,  I counted 201 nests of the Cliff
Swallows under Avens Bridge in Washington County, VA.  This makes the colony
one of the largest in the state and the largest in Southwest Virginia.
Also along the lake in Washington County I had a Forester's Tern in nice
breeding colors and a Red-breasted Merganser.  The tern allowed me to float
within 20 feet of it with a boat while it rested on driftwood.  Great fun.

Let's go birding......

Wallace Coffey
Bristol,
TN--------------------------------------------------------------------------------There
 has been a nice colony underneath the US 421 bridge over South Holston
Lake in recent years but construction of the new bridge has probably
disrupted that colony.

A small group of Cliff Swallows nested under the US 11E culvert at Bill Gatton
 few birds nests under the US 431 bridge in Shady ValleyOn Boone Lake birds
nest under Picken Bridge, DeVault Bridge No. 2and a huge colony under the I-26
bridge at Netherlands Inn Rd. in Kingsporta small colony was under the new
bridge in Bluff City in last couple of years.----- Original Message ----- From:
Don Carrier