[bcbirdclub] Chestnut-sided Warbler

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 08:19:43 -0400

Hi All,
This morning a Chestnut-sided Warbler is feeding in the trees near our yard
pond. What's going on here? A Grosbeak a couple of days ago and now a
Chestnut-sided. These are birds I don't usually see until late August or
September. Previously there had been only three sightings of Chestnut-sideds in
the lower elevations of the county during the month of July. On another note
Johnnie Ratliff tells me that his large colony of Purple Martins left two weeks
earlier than usual for the first time since 1965 when he started keeping
records about his martins. Does this indicate an earlier than normal fall
migration, and possibly a worse scenario of an earlier than usual winter? Let's
hope not.