[bcbirdclub] More Great Egrets and Grosbeak

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 16:32:25 -0400

I received a call today from David Raines. Yesterday, July 23rd, he saw two
GREAT EGRETS on the Willowbrook Country Club golf course in Breaks, VA. He and
I were speculating if they might possibly be the same two I saw here on Compton
Mt the day before on July 22nd. If so, they would have had to fly from one side
of the county to the other, which of course, would be no great feat for them.
They could probably do it in half an hour or less, if they took a direct path.

Yesterday I also saw a juvenile male ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK near our yard
stream. According to our Buchanan County Bird Club database that's the first
sighting in July of any year for that species in Buchanan County. We have only
one sighting ever in June within the county and two in August. We get several
during September as fall migration gets into full swing.