[bcbirdclub] Cattle Egret on Compton Mt

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 21:20:53 -0400

Yesterday morning, May 26, I received a call from my neighbor, Ronald Compton,
about 2 miles away. He said there was a "large, white bird feeding with his
cattle". I grabbed my camera and binoculars and took off. When I arrived I
found a Cattle Egret catching insects in the pasture as the grazing cattle
stirred them up with their movements.
The cattle were curious about the bird and, as you can see from these photos,
at least one wanted to get closer to it. The bird finally flew to the top of a
fence post, but soon went back to feeding in the field.

This is only the third recorded sighting of this species within the county. The
other two were reported by David Raines on Ed Bailey's farm in the Breaks
community. One was in April of 2004, and the other was in May of 2010.

Ronald Compton's frarm, like that of Ed Bailey's has proven to be a good spot
for some unusual birds. In the past It has produced a Sandhill Crane, a Snow
Goose, Great Egrets and now a Cattle Egret.