[bcbirdclub] Brightly Colored Migrants

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 00:31:17 -0400

Hi All,
This week has brought some new species into my yard. I had the first of the
season Nashville Warbler, Prairie Warbler and Palm Warblers. A Warbling Vireo
fed through on Sept 8th. A female Cerulean came in to bathe and to be
photographed though that species has been around this summer. I saw several
Redstarts, both sexes and adults as well as juveniles. Both male and female
Cape Mays have passed through within the last couple of days, as did Magnolias,
Blackburnians, Chestnut-sideds, Tennessees and Black-throated Greens.

The area here on the mountain is so dry the grass is turning brown and the
stream is in constant use by the resident birds and those passing through. For
the first time I had a Swainson's Thrush that came to bathe.

Some of the birds that came in were brilliantly colored like the neon orange of
a male Baltimore Oriole and the dazzling yellow of the Yellow-breasted Chat. On
the other hand some were rather pathetic as they were experiencing their late
summer molt, like the bedraggled Carolina Wren that had no tail.
Photos of some of them can be found at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/migration_5 The camera info is beneath each photo.

Buchanan County