[bcbirdclub] Re: Black Vulture with Tag

  • From: <bebirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 9:29:39 -0500

Jerry this type of tagging method is used to identify birds without having to
recapture them.  I would not know the reason that particular Vulture was tagged
but it could have been done for some type of population interaction or flock
movement study.   To Bad you were unable to get the markings off of the tag it
would have been fun to find out where the Vulture had first been tagged and
what study it was involved in.  The Black Vulture has been causing a lot of
problems for farmers and some urban residents in recent years.  Here in Russell
County at Huffman hill one year there was a flock that numbered in the hundreds
roosting on a man's house and the trees around his yard.  Needless to say he
was not a happy man.  So they have attracted a lot of attention lately with an
interest on how to deal with these birds and the problems they are causing.
--
Bob(Be Birding) Riggs
Lebanon, Va.