[bcbirdclub] Re: Bald Eagle in Breaks,VA

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <birder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:52:39 -0500

Way to go, Dave.

Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: bcbirdclub-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bcbirdclub-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David & Susan
Raines
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 9:31 PM
To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bcbirdclub] Bald Eagle in Breaks,VA

I've been hoping to see a Bald Eagle in the Breaks area for many
years-today it happened! My next door neighbor ,Jackie Blevins called to
tell me about seeing a large dark bird fly from a tree in the hayfield
in front of his home to another perch across the road from our driveway.
I grabbed binoculars and went over to his house and with Jackie's help
located the bird. Perched raptors at a distance are a challenge to I.D.
but this one looked like an immature Bald Eagle(even through the rain).
I got a closer look and confirmed it to be a 2nd yr bird. When the bird
flew a few minutes later it left no doubt that it was indeed a Bald
Eagle. During a late afternoon break in the rainfall I was able to
relocate the Eagle perched over Seldon Clevinger's pond just above our
home on Middle Fork. I hope it is still around tomorrow! Dave R
Breaks,VA