[bcbirdclub] Fox Sparrow Invasion

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 14:45:10 -0500

Hi All,
Last week David Raines had Fox Sparrows. Today I have 13 Fox Sparrows under the
feeders. I started out this morning with 5, then 7, then 8, then 13 - a new
record for our yard.

A few days ago David had a flock of male Red-winged Blackbirds, then I got a
flock of male Red-winged Blackbirds.

Day before yesterday David had his first female Red-wing.
Yesterday I had my first female Red-wing.

Now I'm waiting for my Bald Eagle to show up.

On another note Johnny Ratliff called me to say that last Thursday, Feb 28, he
had a flock of 20 - 25 Tree Swallows around his place at the mouth of Little
Prater. Yesterday they were checking out his bluebird boxes.

I had a female Purple Finch on a feeder today.

Here is a photo of one of the Fox Sparrows. I could never get them together in
one area to get a group photo.

JPEG image