[bcbirdclub] Baby Purple Martins Compton Mt

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BC Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 23:52:18 -0400

Earlier this week I cranked down the martin house and the gourds to do a
nest check to see how many young and eggs the birds have. Attached are some
photos of what most of us never get to see, Purple Martins inside their nest
cavities. I apologize for the photo quality. I took these with my phone.

I was pleasantly surprised to find one nest with 5 eggs and several others
with 5 and 6 nestlings. (see photo). Notice in the nest with the eggs the
green leaves that have been added . No one is sure why Purple Martins gather
green leaves to place in their nests. One theory is that the leaves help
prevent nest parasites.

I counted 24 nestlings in all stages of development. (see photos). Purple
Martin young stay in the nest for 26 -32 days which is longer than most
other small passerines. By contrast Eastern Bluebirds leave the nest at 18 -
21 days. Notice also the mud wall constructed in front of some of the nests.
It is believed that this is done to prevent starlings and other predators
from coming into the nest cavity.