[bcbirdclub] 1600 Broad-winged Hawks at Mendota Firetower

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:57:45 -0700 (PDT)

Today, Sept 17 was a spectacular day at the Mendota tower. Bob Riggs, Ken
Turner and I had 1600 Broad-winged Hawks pass by the tower today. we also had 5
Bald Eagles, 1 Northern Harrier, 1 Osprey, 2 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 2 Coopers
Hawks, 1 American Kestrel, 1 migrating Red-tailed Hawk, and 1 Unknown Falcon.
The day was capped by a kettle of 176 Broad-winged Hawks starting on the North
side of the tower, crossing the ridge then kettling again on the South side.
All of this in beautiful light and close enough to see the field marks.

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA