[battlefield] Re: Bad memory grrr.... oh and this email is a novel.

  • From: Martin Brownell <marty.brownell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "battlefield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <battlefield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 07:34:08 -0600

This IS my blog post, I just have a much more selective audience.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 7:27 AM, James Theunplesant <neonghost@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

At least you got a fun test project out of all of this. Make a good blog
post.

JC Snyder
On Jun 29, 2015 9:30 PM, "Martin Brownell" <marty.brownell@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

So after determining that it was indeed the Gskill memory that was the
issue, I am now the owner of 2 motherboards. So which one to keep?

I loaded them both up with the Corsair memory and then ran 3Dmark to see
which one would come out on top. Would it be the EVGA Z97 or the MSI Z87?
There isn't much difference between the two but the MSI does have a nice on
board over-clocking feature. I ran the test with them both at regular clock
rates and over clocked

In the end it was the MSI board that won out.

The EVGA board scored 16097
The MSI scored >17500

Also the EVGA board advertises that the PCIe slots 1 and 4 are PCIe x16,
But slot one is actually x8. All their documentation says it's x16, but
even in the bios it's very clear that it is x8. Slot 2 is X16. The problem
with that is slot 2 and 4 put the video cards butted up against each other.

Does it make a difference running at X16 compared to X8? Yes. I ran 3D
Mark with the 2 cards in the X16 slot and got the result of 16097, but when
I moved a card to the X8 slot I got 13000. I am not sure how many FPS that
would be in real life but at least in 3Dmark tests there are a difference.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 7:01 PM, James Theunplesant <neonghost@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Super fun game, I've played it before.

JC Snyder