[battlefield] Re: Bad memory grrr.... oh and this email is a novel.

  • From: Martin Brownell <marty.brownell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "battlefield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <battlefield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 18:43:04 -0600

I put the Gskill in the server and it seemed okay but I just logged in and
it is only showed 16 GB of memory. So I am thinking I got a bad stick in
there somewhere.

Actually I don't know if there is a real advantage in FPS between 1600 and
2400 but I can overclock to 4.2-4.4 MHz with the 2400 but only 3.9 with the
1600.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 6:38 PM, Ryan Hawley <ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

oh man. Well, at least you know! Does the Gskill run in your server? I
doubt there's an FPS difference between the 1600 and 2400 ram.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Martin Brownell <marty.brownell@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:

So all this time I have been blaming my video cards, or my motherboard
for my FPS issues lately. When I built the new system I replaced:

(Refurbished) MSI Xpower Z87 motherboard
New Gskill 2400 MHz memory 32 GB
New Samsung EVO 500Gb Msata

The symptoms were unstable performance, SLI not working properly. Things
would work okay with one Video Card but horrible frame rates with 2 in SLI.

Finally after swapping around the video cards more times than I can tell,
I decided to replace the motherboard. I could get a refund on the MSI so I
bought an EVGA Z97.

I installed the EVGA motherboard Saturday. It wouldn't boot. I messed
around with configurations of video cards etc and finally I started pulling
memory sticks. It finally would only boot with 2 memory sticks installed.

I grabbed the old memory from my server, the Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz,
popped the 32 GB in and it boots perfectly. Ran BF4 and I get 190-200 FPS
on 1080P Ultra. Doesn't drop below 180 FPS.

Then I thought.... crap... what if it wasn't ever the motherboard. So I
just put the MSI board back in. Put in the Corsair memory, and started BF4.
180-200 FPS.

So now I have the dilemma

1.) I need to replace that Gskill memory but since it took 40 days to
figure this out I am out of the automatic refund period. I can get a
replacement but what if it's just incompatible.

2.) I have 2 high end motherboards that both work perfectly.