[baisl] Re: Thanksgiving all School Read Aloud/ Discussion Questions

  • From: Carolyn Karis <carolynkaris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Debra Cardone <Cardone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 10:12:56 -0800

Hi Debra,
Instead of using the 1985 book by Dagliesh, why not use the newer book *Sarah
Gives Thanks* by Mike Allegra ; illustrated by David Gardner.

It is the story of the writer and magazine editor Sarah Josepha Hale, who
pushed the idea of establishing Thanksgiving as a national holiday.

It could prompt discussion about why Sarah thought Thanksgiving was such an
important celebration that she worked for a long time to make it a national
holiday.  Other ideas for discussion -- the power of one person, the
importance of sharing, how and why do people share, what are the different
foods that people share on Thanksgiving.  She is a woman who made a big
difference -- one that Americans experience each year.

​
Carolyn

Here is the book summary from Amazon:
During the nineteenth century, Sarah Josepha Hale dedicated her life to
making Thanksgiving a national holiday, all while raising a family and
becoming a groundbreaking writer and women's magazine editor. Sarah Hale's
inspiring story, accompanied by luscious watercolor illustrations, tells
the tale of one woman who wouldn't take no for an answer.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Debra Cardone <Cardone@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Dear Colleagues,
>
>  Have any of you lead an all school read aloud with Thanksgiving books
> from your collection?  We are an all girls school, and the Big Sisters are
> reading short picture books to their younger sisters.  I have been
> requested to oversee Thanksgiving picture  books and discussion questions.
>

>   I just pulled  Caldecott Book titled *The Thanksgiving Story *by Alice
> Dalgliesh  ,and it required a great deal of time and  work regarding
> concepts and characteristics of the Native American Indians and Pilgrim
> culture.  It is taking me time to create discussion questions for each book.
>
>  The activity for reading will only take 30 minutes.  If you have done a
> Thanksgiving Read Aloud project or assembly like this one,  please contact
> me.  There must be an easier way to have students discuss each book?
>
>  Thanks for any input,
> Debra
>
>  Debra Cardone
> Head Librarian
> Hamlin School
> 2120 Broadway Street
> San Francisco, CA  94115
> 415-674-5414

> CONFIDENTIAL: The Hamlin School This email and attachments are sent by The
> Hamlin School and may contain information that is privileged or
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the
> email and any attachments without reading, printing, copying, or forwarding
> it, and please notify us. helpdesk@xxxxxxxxxx

JPEG image