Badges - Re: Homeless protest new Salvation Army policy

  • From: "Ronald M. Thomason" <r4445@xxxxxxx>
  • To: badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:30:43 -0700

Demetrius Martin, carrying a sign that read: "Shelter From the Rain," said he wasn't allowed in the shelter during a recent storm. "I had to stay in the rain on the ground."

You mean like soldiers and Marines do EVERY night???!!!

At 12:28 PM 8/22/2011, you wrote:
Isn't it amazing how people who don't have anything can be so demanding? I'd like to be on welfare for 50 years please... (DBMF)

Anyway, what impact if any have homeless people made in regards to crime in your jurisdiction? Do you arrest many homeless people or do you give them a ride to the edge of town and tell them goodbye?

Homeless protest new Salvation Army policy that sets cap on nights shelter is available

Emacs!

Protestors picket in front of The Salvation Army on Dauphin Street
in downtown Mobile Tuesday Aug. 16, 2011. (Press-Register/Victor Calhoun)

MOBILE, Alabama -- When Ronald Carter was released from the hospital Saturday, he called the Salvation Army to let the staff know that he needed a bed for the night.

The 60-year-old homeless man said he was told that there was no room for him.

Carter said that he slept under a bush.

Carter and about a half-dozen other homeless people protested in front of the Dauphin Street Salvation Army Tuesday, carrying signs claiming they have been shut out of the shelter.

Maj. Alan Hill, the new area Salvation Army commander, said, "We only have the ability to house so many as set by the state fire marshal."

He said that it's a "life safety" issue.

Prior to his taking command, he said, people coming to the shelter for the night could sleep on the floor if beds were full.

Also, Carter said, the Salvation Army has revised a policy about how often someone can stay there for the night. Previously, the number was 7 nights a month; now, it's 7 nights every 3 months.

This way, as many as 112 a month can come in. "That gives us opportunities for others, not the same ones staying over and over," Hill said.

He added, "This is supposed to be an emergency shelter, not their home."

He said the shelter has only limited space and is trying seek ways to "best serve the whole population."

Demetrius Martin, carrying a sign that read: "Shelter From the Rain," said he wasn't allowed in the shelter during a recent storm. "I had to stay in the rain on the ground."

Another protester, Jody Mobley, said if the homeless end up stuck on the streets, they'll get arrested for loitering.

JPEG image