Badges - New immigration law could mean 'nightmare' for motorists

  • From: CarlGlas@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:30:37 -0500

MOBILE, Alabama ? Starting Sept. 1, Alabama?s tough new immigration law might cause difficulties for the state?s drivers in ways that few were aware, according to licensing officials in several counties.

Language in the law requires people to present documents in person to prove citizenship to renew licenses and tags.

Particularly outspoken was Mobile County License Commissioner Kim Hastie, who said, ?It?s going to be a nightmare.?

Hastie ? elected on a pledge to serve tag-renewal customers in 10 minutes ? said her office has made quicker service possible by conducting business online, by mail or telephone for the more than 450,000 tag transactions annually in Mobile County.

Hastie said some 35 percent of those transactions are handled by means other than visits to her offices.

?It?s scaring me to death,? Hastie said Thursday, just days after state officials notified her of the change.

?That?s just two weeks away,? she said. ?There is no way we can notify people by then. The law mandates that residents present documents, and then we have to attach copies of those to their files and save them. We have no scanners and we have no personnel to accomplish this.

?Whoever wrote this bill put a substantial burden on licensing agents,? she said. ?We already have an immigration department to verify citizenship. This puts the burden on licensing commissioners.?

In Baldwin County, Probate Judge Tim Russell echoed the frustration, warning that his licensing offices could be ?overwhelmed? unless a federal judge blocks implementation of the law at a hearing Aug. 24 in Huntsville.

?We?re going to have to make major changes,? Russell said. ?About 20 percent of our residents renew online or by mail. We have 252,000 tags to renew every year, so we are looking at about 25,000 more people coming in.?

He said that workers in Foley and Fairhope licensing offices see about 300 people daily. With the new law, ?long lines will happen,? he said.

?Residents are not going to like it,? Russell said, ?but we have no choice.?

Russell said people will have to show a valid drivers license, passport or Social Security card. He expressed concern that counterfeit documents may become a problem as those who are in the U.S. illegally attempt to obtain them.

Many county offices have seen cutbacks in personnel since the economic downturn.

?Alabama, here we go again, stepping backward,? Hastie said. ?A survey showed 80 percent of Alabama residents were for the new immigration law, but I bet if they knew it meant they would spend four hours sitting in a license commissioner?s office to renew their tags with no other option, they?d not be for it anymore.?

The Badges Law Enforcement Discussion Group - Est. 1997