[b1-tennis] Re: Hello list!

  • From: Marion Mansfield <marionmansfield2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: b1-tennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 14:29:11 -0800

Dear All BOne
players
Thought I would make contact with you all too!
I am Marion from Cambridge and a BOne player at the Cambridge VIP tennis group. I helped Alex Wheen set up this very active club of mixed ages and abilities 2 years ago. I am a real convert to the world of tennis and very passionate about high profiling the benefits of playing tennis not only to boost confidence and keep active and healthy but to create opportunities and have fun. We certainly tick all the boxes here in Cambridge! I am keen and very motivated to improve my game and tecniques and always interested in how others are progressing in their tennis. I do hope to continue to communicate to other B. one players and perhaps even meet you for a game at a uk tournament. I do not use a screen reader and communicate via a Braille note taker.
Look forward to further communication from you all.
Warm Wishes
Marion Mansfield -----From: Steve Trewick <steve.trewick@xxxxxxxxxx
To: b1-tennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 23:11:16 +0000
Subject: [b1-tennis] Re: Hello list!

On 8 Dec 2014, at 15:09, Peter Bosher <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Steve, and welcome.

I'm Peter, I've also been playing for around two years at theHalton club near Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire, and have taken part in a couple of tournaments; Metro and Cambridge. I'm very much hoping to come to the Northeast one next year.

Excellent! As mentioned elsewhere the dates for 2015 are May 16th and 17th. We'll distribute more information as we put the plans together.

There are eleven people in this Email group so far. I posted info about it on the VI tennis Facebook group last week, and was a little surprised by the reaction, but encouraged to see three people join this group as a result.

Some questioned the need for a separate B1 group, but as I explained in my post, this is a totally different way of communicating. Apart from anything else, it's incredibly difficult to post to a Facebook group using a screenreader.

I can imagine. It's bad enough when you can see it! I usually end up using it on my phone as it doesn't play well with browser zoom.

I haven't noticed posts from B1 players on that group,

It's a fairly low traffic group all round to be honest.

and in talking with others, many have said that they didn't get on particularly well with Facebook.

This is really useful to know.

Also, there are issues that may only be of interest to B1's; I have one which I'll keep for a separate post about best techniques for improving returning skills with either two or three bounces, and we also felt that we might be under-represented, partly because there are relatively few of us, hence the reasons for the group. We had no intention at all of either re-inventing the wheel, or fragmenting the Facebook Group. Steve, if you feel like explaining that to the FB group, then please do, because I can't easily post again.

I'll see what I can do. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but it's possible there's been a bit of miscommunication about the purpose of the list : people read the word 'issues' for instance, and they think 'problems'. The internet is really good at facilitating this kind of loss of tone. I'm sure it's nothing that can't be resolved.

To clarify my own response, when I said I was curious as to what issues would be specific to B1s, I wasn't being sarcastic, I am genuinely interested and looking forward to finding out so that we can better support our players in our own sessions and in tournaments. We're also delivering some CPD courses and VI tennis camps up here next year, so anything I learn will feed back into that. I'm sure it will be be super useful.

We'd really like a few more people to join to make for worthwhile discussions, but I've already found it useful to know that the NE tournament would be in May, and if it weren't for this group I could easily have missed it.

What do others think about any of this?

Personally I think it's great that players are proactive in keeping in touch and talking about the game, and you seem to have reached a good proportion of the B1 players currently on the competition circuit.

Cheers
Steve