[b1-tennis] Re: Hello list!

  • From: Steve Trewick <steve.trewick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: b1-tennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 22:32:21 +0000
> On 8 Dec 2014, at 10:20, Nikhil Nair <nnair@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> Welcome!
>
> I'm a B1 player based in Cambridge.  I wasn't at the north-east tournament
> this year, but I was at the nationals in October, and hope to be at your
> next tournament (second weekend in May, isn't it?).

Hi Nikhil,  yes indeed, it is planned for May 16th and 17th.

> Steve, could I clarify one thing - and please don't get me wrong, people
> are equally welcome here whether they're B1, partial or fully sighted - but
> roughly what sight level do you have?  I'm mainly curious due to what you
> said about being a coaching assistant: if you are, in fact, a B1, I'd be
> very interested to hear how the coaching stuff works, as I wasn't aware
> anyone had even thought about B1s being involved in coaching (though, to be
> fair, I've learnt a lot from other B1 players in the past, in other
> sports).

Sorry to disappoint, but I’m categorised as B3 (smiley face). Funnily enough I
have recently been pondering ways that players in the B1 category might be
involved in coaching.  Not in any serious way, just in a “wouldn’t that be
awesome” kind of way. Haven’t reached any conclusions yet, but I’d be super
interested to hear any ideas.  I suspect, as you’ve hinted above, that this
starts with players mentoring and supporting each other and it seems you guys
are well on the way to that, which is cool.

> As to the list, it's been very quiet for the last 6 weeks or so.  I think
> we have about 10 people, give or take - still very small.

That’s a large proportion of the number of players we typically see at
tournaments, so not bad going!

Looking forward to chatting.

Cheers
Steve