[AZ-Observing] Re: venus about to transit

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, haclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 22:07:58 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 I had six small L-brackets on the filter holder arranged
around the perimeter of my 13-in Dobsonian telescope tube securely holding it
onto the telescope. The trouble was that it was fairly heavy and I had to
scootch the telescope down aways in the saddle which caused the mirror-end to
hit the Dobsonian base. Fortunately the sun was well past zenith (which I
couldn't have reached with that setup) by the start of the transit and all went
well. I had to put cardboard shims in my altitude bearings to increase the
friction to keep the telescope from being blown around too much. It worked
fine. I viewed the ingress contact points 1 and 2 at about 100x and allowed
Venus to be entirely inside the disk of the sun before I removed the filter and
moved it to my 20x100 binoculars for a stereo view that was simply magnificent.
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)