[AZ-Observing] Re: venus about to transit

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 18:51:45 -0400

Jimmy, et al;

Very windy up in the high country, so I gave up on trying to set up scope.
 I am just too worried about the filter blowin off or other big problems
that could lead to someone blinded.  So, I held the filter by hand and
used the 8X42 binoculars to see the big black spot on the Sun.  It was
easy and once I did it with the binocs I would pretty easily see it with
the naked eye and the Baader film filter.  As Stan said, the seeing is
horrid so no sunspots were seen.  But, it was pretty unique, just
realizing what I was seeing.  This is from the Happy Jack RV park about 40
miles east of Flagstaff.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe