[AZ-Observing] Re: same message, but with an active link

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 23:38:31 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244
We just had Father Coyne come speak to us at the Huachuca Astronomy Club a
couple months ago. He's a most enjoyable speaker and very personable. Go see
him if you have the chance!

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)

-- "Dan Heim" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fellow Stargazers,
It was suggested by Tom Polakis that I post this here, in addition to the
notices previously sent to Valley area clubs.  So here it is:

Monday, Jan 26th, 6:30-8:30 pm, in Classroom #1 at the North Valley Regional
Library in Anthem, DFAC will host Fr. George Coyne, S.J., of the Vatican
Observatory for a special presentation about ID (intelligent design) as seen
through the perspective of a professional astronomer who is also a Jesuit.
Given the coverage of ID in the popular media, this is a topic all scientists
should be familiar with.  Fr. Coyne's perspective should afford some unique
insights.  This meeting is open to the public.

Maps are available on our website at:  http://www.dfacaz.org/maps.html

Below is the abstract supplied by Fr. Coyne:

THE DANCE OF THE FERTILE UNIVERSE: DID GOD DO IT?

George V. Coyne, S.J.
Vatican Observatory

Abstract

Did we come about by chance or by necessity in the evolving universe? Did God
make us? Can we conclude that there is an Intelligent Design to the universe?
To what extent can the natural sciences address these questions. As to chance
or necessity the first thing to be said is that the problem is not formulated
correctly. It is not just a question of chance or necessity because, first of
all, it is both. Furthermore, there is a third element here that is very
important. It is what we might call the "fertility" of the universe. So the
dance of the fertile universe is a ballet with three ballerinas: chance,
necessity and fertility. What this means is that the universe is so fertile in
offering the opportunity for the success of both chance and necessary processes
that such a character of the universe must be included in the search for our
origins in the universe. In this light I am going to try to present in broad
strokes what I think is some of the best of our modern scientific
 understanding of the universe and then return to the questions above.