[AZ-Observing] Re: [sac-forum] It's hard to believe Pierre's been gone for 15 years...

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 20:34:47 -0700

Jennifer, AJ, et al;

I remember visiting Pierre in the hospital with AJ and how terribly sick
he was.  I still don't know to this day if he knew we were there.

Instead of that I do try and remember some great times with Pierre out
under Arizona skies.  When we were at the dark Camp 613 site and Pierre
had the binocular chair out under dark skies for the first time.  The
views up and down the Summer Milky Was were spectacular.  Or being at
Sentinel with just me and Pierre and his 20 inch, my 13 inch mirror was
being re-coated.  We had three terrific nights with the big scope and
excellent skies.  I stopped by Pierre's house one afternoon and he had
just returned from New York with a video camera.  He had the Sun behind
the eave of the house and was imaging Venus as it passed above the solar
disk.  I do wonder what happened to those tapes.  How wonderful it would
be to have some of them up on the SAC website.

And, yes, time does go by quickly;

Steve Coe