[AZ-Observing] Re: opposing crescents

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 17:59:28 -0400

Mark,

Thanks for the heads-up on the opposing crescents.  It appears that the S&T
site information may be applying Daylight Savings Time to Arizona.  The MST
times are:

Sunday, 5:09 a.m., 24 hours, 9 minutes before New
Monday, 7:33 p.m., 14 hours, 15 minutes old

S&T gives times when the altitudes of the sun and moon are "balanced."  From
past experience with young moon hunting, I am guessing that the best chance for
spotting the moon Monday night will be a little later than 7:33 p.m., when the
moon's altitude above the horizon is less than the sun's altitude below the
horizon.  In other words, sky darkness is more important than transparency.

Tom