[AZ-Observing] Re: [amastro] blue festoons on Jupiter (in small aperture)

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 07:24:41 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244
I just got back in from observing Jupiter with my 13-in f/5 Dob. It is now
midnight local AZ time and the impact site is an hour or so past meridian. I
was using a 7mm eyepiece and the seeing and transparency were pretty good. I
don't know about seeing draping festoons, but I definitely saw a nice navy blue
barge on the south side of the NEB, if that makes sense, at about the same
longitude as the impact site and I have seen white ovals near north of the
site. It was elongated horizontally and appeared denser than the impact site
which appears to still be bi-nuclear with the north-following element still
smaller and denser than the south-preceeding element, which has always been the
case in my several visual observations. I don't know if it was because of our
moon's light pollution causing a loss in contrast, but the impact site seems to
possibly be fading since my last observation the night before. The NEB is very
textured with lots of swirls and eddies in it, while the SEB, other than the
area with the Red Spot and its attending barge, seems to be fading and fairly
featureless.
I also enjoyed the dance of the inner Galilean moons tonight. When I first
started observing Jupiter earlier in the evening, two of the moons were very
close together, one probably had just occulted the other, which I missed, but
the movement among Io, Callisto, and Europa was very evident in the couple
hours that transpired during my observation of the Jovian system.
BTW, I tried observing Jupiter with my 4-inch Astroscan. While this telescope
is great for wide-field views, it is not a planetary scope. The moons are
obvious, surface detail on Jupiter was not.

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)