[AZ-Observing] Re: What are "GN xx.xx.xx" and/or "BFS" objects ??

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 13:00:27 -0500

---- Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's nice to know that Marty Germano is still
in action: he's been in the astro-imaging game for
at least 35 years!

Yes, and one of the last holdouts to go from Tech Pan film imaging to CCD. But
that ST-8XME is a pretty old camera. I wonder how long ago that image was
taken. I mentioned IC 1470 when I was writing my observing articles for
Astronomy, wherein it is written, "...a bright object half an arcminute across
with a much fainter extension to the southeast. Look for a tight pair of
11th-magnitude stars 2' to the west."

I would recommend downloading Aladin Desktop, which doesn't have too steep of a
learning curve. It is available at the top of this site:

http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/

Tom