[AZ-Observing] What are "GN xx.xx.xx" and/or "BFS" objects ??

  • From: "David M. Douglass" <dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 09:38:54 -0700

I am working on a personal long term project, imaging most of the SH2-
objects in Ha.
A few nights ago, I imaged SH2-156 (aka IC 1470).

http://www.az-dahut.net/Obs-Log-Sheets/Sh2-156-20151030.jpg

I like to "annotate" selected identifiable objects in my images, as shown on
this image.

What caught my eye (and curiosity) was another smaller and dimmer nebulosity
object, just to the east of the main target.

My various utilities could NOT identify this object for me. How could this
be ??

I decided to do some searching on the web for other "comparables". I found
this:

http://martingermano.com/Images/IC1470_map.jpg

How interesting !! The observer also published his "un-annotated" version
here:

http://martingermano.com/IC1470area.htm

At the bottom of that page, he does the cross-reference between the "GN" id
and the "BFS" id.

But what are they?

I emailed him, and asked.

He responded that:

"This reference (GN) is from a collection called "Atlas of Galactic
Nebulae", authored by Thorsten Neckel and Hans Vehrenberg."

This is a BOOK, still available, but apparently published in Germany (I
think).

"The "BSF" designation is from the CDS (Centre de Donnees Astronomiques de
Strasbourg) Aladin Previewer."

I can't seem to locate any other reference to these items.

Does anyone know of other sites where additional information, such as
"tables", "cross-references" etc can be found ??

David M. Douglass

dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (secondary)

david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (main)

Cell (602) 908-9092