[AZ-Observing] Re: Weather This Weekend

  • From: <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:26:44 -0500

Bll Ferris wrote:

> The Clear Sky Clock forecast predicts excellent transparency for the AAMM
> (http://cleardarksky.com/c/AllArznSPAZkey.html?1), Saturday night. Looking at
> all the Arizona sites
> (http://cleardarksky.com/csk/prov/Arizona_clocks.shtml), it appears the
> northern half of the state is where to be for observing, tonight, and the
> southern half on Saturday...

I have pointed to this site on this list before, but it's worth reiterating
that Environment Canada's sky transparency forecast maps are superior to the
Clear Sky Clock when trying to make geographical assessments.

http://www.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/htmls/transparence_e.html

Go to the two sets of links for "Regional model, sky transparency forecast for
North America."  If it's between 11 a.m. and 9 p.m. MST, click on the Animation
for 12 UTC.  Otherwise, use the 0 UTC for the latest animation.  These maps
give a better feel for the predicted movement of the clouds than the Clear Sky
Clock.

The latest models are not as encouraging for any of Arizona Saturday
night/Sunday morning.  The images show the high clouds a couple hundred miles
west of the model from 12 hours ago.

Like so many others, I'm going either way.

Tom