[AZ-Observing] Re: Visual Limit From Sentinel Last Night

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 16:42:27 -0700

Tom;

A NEW observing accessory--a comfortable mattress and a sleeping bag?  Ah,
horizontal observing.....

I have naked eye notes from a good night at 5000 ft. altitude at Dugas Rd. that
I rated 7/10 for transparency.  I was able to hold steady a star that was 6.9
magnitude and glimpse one of 7.2 about 20 percent of the time.  Those notes are
also from a long time ago and my eyes were younger, then.  It seems that was a
night that I was doing some binocular observing of Summer Milky Way and so
didn't have a telescope to distract me from just looking around.  I probably
used the "how many stars inside the Bowl of the Dipper" thing to get those
numbers, but I took poor notes and just jotted down the final values.  One of
these days, I am going to do this again and see how the passage of 15 years has
effected the results.  Then again, maybe I don't want to know.

Agree with you, Tom, I think that folks who see deep can pick out stars of 7.5
mag regularly from a good site, I would not dispute that.

Steve

stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx
Author:  Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist
Saguaro Astronomy Club web site: