[AZ-Observing] Re: Very good night at Messier Marathon site

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 07:33:15 -0700

" But maybe the most interesting sight last night was the planetary nebula,
M27, which appeared as a hazy blob suspended in front of the background
stars. Mesmerizing..."

Or maybe MESSIER-IZING!  Nice report, Wayne. I was on a plane inbound from
Portland last night so got to do no starz. Rats!

Richard Harshaw
Cave Creek, Arizona
Brilliant Sky Observatory

From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: "az-observing@fre" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Very good night at Messier Marathon site
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 14:17:17 -0400

Howdy all;

I am truly sorry that you will have to put up with that "you should have
been here last night" line, but it is true.  The clouds stayed away, the
breeze died off and the stars came out.  I rated the night at 7 out of 10
for transparency, very good views of the Milky Way, Omega Centauri and
plenty of galaxies in Leo, Coma and Virgo.

At 1 AM, right before I went to bed, the gegenschein was evident between
the tail of Leo and Saturn.  A faint, oval glow could be held steady in
that region.

Right now (11 in the morning) it is clear and the wind is gentle.  It is
gonna be hot, last night I never got beyond a light jacket.  Very nice
compared to all the cold weather observing we have been doing.

I did shoot some images, so I will see how those turn out and show them at
the club meeting a week from today.  I look forward to Dean Ketelson, he
is always an excellent speaker, thanks for getting him Tom Polakis.

Clear skies and cup cakes, what more can anyone want?

See ya;
Steve Coe