[AZ-Observing] Re: Vernal Equinox?

  • From: "Brent A Archinal" <barchinal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:24:53 -0700

It's a good (and common) question.  The difference is due to the Sun not
being a point source and due to atmospheric refraction, so some part of
the Sun is above the apparent horizon for several minutes more than 12
hours at the equinoxes.  USNO has a more complete explanation posted at:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/equinoxes.html .  Very useful answers to
similar astronomical questions are posted at the link one step higher,
i.e.: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/ .

- Brent Archinal

RGP14159@xxxxxxx
Sent by: az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
03/25/2002 08:04 PM
Please respond to az-observing

        To:     az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        [AZ-Observing] Vernal Equinox?

March 20 is when the Vernal Equinox happens, and the sun rises due East
and
sets due West.
I also see that for the Phoenix area, the day that was exactly 12 hours
long
was March 16, when the sun rose at 6:35 am and set at 6:35 pm (according
the newspaper and my palm-pilot).

What I am not understanding is why these days don't coincide?  I have
looked
at all my reference materials, and have checked out a number of web sites,

but can't find an answer.  Is this too easy a question to dignify with an
answer, or is this a question that anyone can help me with?  Does it have
do with our latitude, or the equation of time, or what?

Randy Peterson
EVAC

messages.  Thanks.

messages.  Thanks.