[AZ-Observing] Re: Two crescents

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:43:27 -0700

Well, I got a up a bit early and headed out to Tom & Jenn's house, which
happens to be walking distance form my office. The timing of the event gave
plenty of time to watch and enjoy some, as Jenn put it, carcinogens &
Cholesterol, before I had be at work. When I left the Moon was about 1/2 a
degree from Venus. It was staring me in face most of the trip and after
rounding the Durango turn I was wondering if I'd make it in time. I did,
with about 5 minutes to spare.

Tom was imaging from inside the observatory tent, Jenn was watching through
Magpie and the Pronto was waiting for me. As ingress progressed Tom & I both
noted that Venus seemed to be in front of the moon as it looked like the
cusps were superimposed over the lunar limb. I suspect Tom will have some
insight on this, the best I'm willing to guess is something similar to the
raindrop effect that was noted during planetary transits of the sun. I'm
wiling to be corrected if wrong. :)

After 2nd contact we retired to the kitchen for the afore mentioned
breakfast and as usually happens with Tom & I the conversation drifted from
astronomy to hockey.

I left for work hoping to catch egress in my 15x70's, but by the time I got
to the office clocked in and got back outside, it was too late. I'm guessing
judging from the image in the bino's, that I missed it by about 1 or 2
minutes. Not to waste the time outside, I followed Venus Naked eye for a few
minutes before some misguided sense of responsibility brought me back in to
do some work.

It was fun sharing with some good friends an event that I most likely
would've seen alone in my backyard.

I eagerly await Tom's images.

Clear Skies

Rick Tejera