[AZ-Observing] Re: To Heck with the Monsoon and the Gas "Problem" and the California recall and everything else at Cherry Rd Saturday?

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:40:52 -0800

Matt Luttinen wrote:

> I want my stargazing, gosh darn it, and I will be at Cherry Rd unless the
> monsoon from hell hits . . .

Well, I think you should. This is the weather forecast from the Phoenix
National Weather Service for tonight in the Prescott area:
.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN THE
EVENING THEN ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS AFTER MIDNIGHT.
LIGHT WINDS. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 40 PERCENT. LOWS 59 TO 64.
.SATURDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE MORNING THEN BECOMING MOSTLY
CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON. LIGHT
WINDS. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.

It sounds pretty bad, but as I step outside my door at 8:30 pm, 15 miles west
of the Cherry Road site, it is a nice calm, cool evening, with some high
clouds. Mars is bright and clear to the east. It may rain later in the
evening and/or get totally swamped out with clouds, but it doesn't look like
it will at this moment. Yesterday the forecast for last night was:
.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY IN THE EVENING THEN BECOMING PARTLY CLOUDY.
CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN THE EVENING DECREASING AFTER
MIDNIGHT. LIGHT WINDS. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 30 PERCENT.

but it was, for all practical purposes, a completely clear night. The
forecast for Saturday really looks bad, but last night was not anywhere near
as bad as forecasted, and it looks like tonight also may not be as bad as
forecasted. Around midnight I'll see if it has stayed clear enough to observe
Mars.
Stan