[AZ-Observing] Re: Time-lapse Animation of Ganymede Eclipse

  • From: Michael Collins <cal_donley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 23:46:35 -0700

On 11/17/12 23:15, Tom Polakis wrote:
> Using a C11 at 7000mm of focal length, the 1.8 arcsecond disc of
> Ganymede is 11 pixels in diameter in my Webcam.  That's large enough
> to show the partial phases of an eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.  Here
> are 26 monochrome frames, each taken 30 seconds apart, and strung
> into an animation.

  Excellent work. I observed a number of Jovian satellite events in the
'80's as part of a program coordinated by Jim Stamm. The differences in
the disappearance and reappearance times of the different satellites is
striking. Since all of my observations back then were made with a 200 mm
f/6 Newtonian, I was never able to resolve the disks of the satellites
as in the video.

  Were these individual frame captures or stacks of multiple images?

  On a side note, it's good to see some results from the C11.

                                -- Mike --
--
cal_donley@xxxxxxx