[AZ-Observing] Re: The Mice and Other Rodents

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 15:35:27 -0700 (MST)

>> Does anyone know of definitive Vmags for the Mice?

     V-band photometry is listed in NED for these galaxies.  Definitive?
Probably not.

>> [In re NGC 5053] A handful of faint foreground(?) stars decorate the
>> face of the cluster.

     These are indeed cluster stars, at V mag 13.8 at the tip of the
giant branch (also listed in my data file).  The relative brightness of
these stars is why the cluster is easier to see than one might expect---
the surface brightness is low, so NGC 5053-qua-cluster is fairly difficult,
but the brightest individual stars are pretty bright, and since there are
essentially no field stars here at the galactic pole, they're easy to spot.
In re the surface brightness values, you can look up the Trager et al. surface
photometry using VizieR.

>> Abell 39 ... "That's [expletive deleted] faint."... emerged [with]
>> Lumicon OIII filter...

     When I observed this with my 15cm telescope in 1989, I found it better
with a UHC filter than with the [OIII].  I noted that it "needs
critically-averted vision to see much at all."  Marling's 'true-visual'
magnitude for this is 13.0, probably about right, but the large size makes
it a classic low-surface-brightness test.

\Brian

messages.  Thanks.