[AZ-Observing] Re: The Mice and Other Rodents

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 18:13:23 -0700

This agrees with the axiom that smaller scopes fair better with a UHC
filter, and it takes a larger scope having more light gathering power to
make full use of an OIII filter. You use what you have but it's a general
guideline in contemplating a purchase. In going from a 10" to a 14.5" I kept
the UHC.

Jack Jones
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Lunar List Awards and
Messier Marathon Coordinator
Phoenix AZ
spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

     When I observed this with my 15cm telescope in 1989, I found it better
with a UHC filter than with the [OIII].  I noted that it "needs
critically-averted vision to see much at all."  Marling's 'true-visual'
magnitude for this is 13.0, probably about right, but the large size makes
it a classic low-surface-brightness test.

\Brian

messages.  Thanks.