[AZ-Observing] Re: The Blue Moon

  • From: Skylook123@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 18:37:21 EST

Yeah, in 2003 some nameless person mistook the 25 arc second disk size  at
opposition for 25 arc minutes, and started the "big as a full moon"
hysteria.  The rest is Internet history.  Wonder who the  perpetrator was?

I've seen the "second full moon in a month" called a blue moon  in news and
weather statements, so it may have taken on a life of its  own.

Jim O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star  Party
gcsp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 11/21/2010 12:02:14 P.M. US Mountain Standard Tim,
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Gawd, I  am sooo tired of receiving that as a forwarded email by gullible
(but  nice) people who know I'm into astronomy. Some ask "Is this for
real?" but  the vast majority just forward it. Seems like that's been
floating around  the internet for 4-5 years now ... maybe longer.
According to Snopes, it  started back in 2003 when we had that perihelic
opposition. Sounds  logical.

Dan Heim