[AZ-Observing] Re: Telescope status in Catalinas

  • From: "balinka" <pegsam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:30:49 -0700

Here are some pictures I took of one of the observatories and Aspen fire in
the Catalina mountains. This first shot is from the parking lot at work in
Oro Valley, looking east:
http://www.balinka.com/aspenobs01a.jpg

The second shot is from about 1/2 mile south, on Oracle Road (Hwy 77). The
image isn't the greatest because this is digitally zoomed and the wind was
blowing like hell. Still, you can see that the observatory structure is
still standing:
http://www.balinka.com/aspenobs02a.jpg

The last shot is from about a mile further south, again on Oracle Road:
http://www.balinka.com/aspenobs03a.jpg

You'll just have to take my word that the blurry thing is the observatory.
In keeping with the discussion on seeing --- Transparency = 0 to 8
(depending on smoke plume), seeing (as captured electronically) = 1 (damn
the wind...)

Sam