[AZ-Observing] Re: [TAAA_Forum] Perseids winding down?

  • From: "Lucia Wheele" <nyclady@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 10:47:57 -0700

please remove me from your email list

nyclady@xxxxxxx

Lucia Wheele
luciawheele@xxxxxxxxx
602-686-0463
-----Original Message-----
From: Rik Hill
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:10 PM
To: taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy) ; az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Re: [TAAA_Forum] Perseids winding down?

That was our experience as well. Last night was much better. Dolores and
I went out for an hour from 12:30am -1:30am and saw 15 Perseids and 7
sporadics (which would include Upsilon Pegasids if we saw any). I got 4
of the brightest ones in images at:
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~rhill/images_meteor-showers/2013-08-13_perseids.gif

-Rik

On 8/13/2013 5:32 PM, Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy) wrote:
> 15480 Empire Rd.
> Benson, AZ 85602
> hm ph: 520-586-2244
>
> Hmmm, the Perseids must have been pretty active about that time, Jim. I
> went out at 12:30am and saw 5 meteors in one minute and then saw 3 meteors
> in about 30 seconds at about 1am. After that not much more meteoritic
> activity was seen, but I was mostly observing through my telescope until
> about 2:30am. The clouds started blowing in at about 2am and it completely
> clouded over at about 3am.
>
>> Wayne,
>> I went out last night at about midnight, saw 8 perseids in about 10 min.
>> Then went to bed.
>> Jim McCaw
> A couple broad bands of high, thin clouds started coming in about 2am from
> the south but up until then I was able to see M74 with its current
> supernova. The exploding star seems to be the brightest of the stars
> around the galaxy by about 0.5 magnitudes.
>
> I decided to mostly concentrate on objects near the north star and into
> Cepheus.  I use Polaris for collimating my telescope all the time but I
> don't seem to look at objects in its general area. I first found NGC 188
> and saw it to be a dim, spread out open cluster only a few degrees from
> the pole star. Since the rest of the sky was looking pretty soupy I
> decided to stay with the deepsky objects in the northern sky. There is a
> nice, loose grouping of pretty faint and pretty small galaxies in the
> general area: NGCs 2276, 2300, plus IC 455 a somewhat fainter and smaller
> galaxy nearly in line with them. NGC 2268 is about a degree south from
> this grouping . I detected a couple other much fainter galaxies scattered
> among the group and according to my U2000 chart, which I didn't use last
> night, there are about a dozen much fainter galaxies nearby. I spotted a
> couple nice planetary nebulae before the clouds blotted out the sky: IC
> 1454 and the slightly larger NGC 7139. I even found
  a couple small, compact diffuse nebulae, NGC 7129 and 7133, near a
scattered open cluster, NGC 7142, just as the clouds were obliterating the
sky.