[AZ-Observing] Re: Sunspot Group Near Meridian

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 17:05:41 -0700

At 02:32 PM 8/12/01 -0700, Jack Jones wrote:
> I'm using the Baader film and it's like I'm seeing all the detail there
is! The group looks great telescopically, even with my smallest mask, a
2-inch. I still have most of the sheet left which I can't seem to get rid
of. I've run out of uses. Maybe I'll cut a hole in the east wall of the
house and mount a piece over that for morning checks.

>Jack Jones

I bought a 8x10 sheet of Baader film from Starizona in Tucson for thirty
bucks.  Made one 3.5" filter for myself, and gave away three other pieces
for friends.  All of us now have off-axis solar filters for our Newtonians.
 This is one of the better deals in the hobby.  Anybody who knows where
this can be purchased in metro Phoenix might mention it to the list.

Today's sunspot group wasn't the largest I've seen, but there was a lot of
detail, including a sort of "spiral arm" on one of the larger spots.

Tom

---

Tom Polakis
Tempe, AZ