[AZ-Observing] Re: Sharpless 2-1 in the head of Scorpius

  • From: "Randy Peterson" <rgpeterson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:44:24 -0700

Here's another picture of the object:

http://www.astroimages.com/sh2-1.htm

Randy Peterson

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 1:27 PM
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Sharpless 2-1 in the head of Scorpius

> Hello folks;
> If you are looking for a challenge object, I can supply a beauty,
Sharpless 2-1 is an emission nebula in the head of Scorpius.

> This observation is from last weekend, an excellent night at 5 mile
meadow,  about 7000 feet (2300 meters) altitude in the Rim country of
central Arizona.

> This observation is with my new scope, a 4" f/6 Orion RFT refractor.  I
also used an OIII filter that I just purchased, a Riverside bargain.

> Sharpless 2-1  22mm Panoptic--just barely detectable to the south of Pi
Sco.
> Extremely faint, large, elongated 1.8X1.  Averted vision helps the view,
but this is a very low contrast object.

> Adding the UHC filter helps, the view of the nebula is much better and
higher contrast.  The nebula is brightest to the south of Pi Sco, it is
extremely faint around the stars 1,2 and 3 Sco, just a very faint mist
around those stars.
> Trying my new OIII filter shows the nebula with a little better contrast
than the UHC, but not much.

> The best view is with either of the two filters installed and a cloth hood
in place over my head.  This allows me to get very well dark adapted and
concentrate on the view in the eyepiece.