[AZ-Observing] Sentinel report

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:28:34 -0700

Hello Thad, et al;

Both Friday night and Saturday night were as Joe Larkin described, waves of
holes in the clouds that lasted from 30 minutes to 2 hours and provided a
chance to see something in the telescope.  The seeing was consistently 5 or
6 out of 10 and in the holes the transparency was 6 or 7.  So, useful
observing could be done for a while and then a return to the astro-chat
session for a while.  I had a good time and enjoyed the observing and the
chatting.  Joe and Mike (sorry, I missed Mike's last name) were observing
for Friday night and then Tom Polakis, Jennifer Keller, Glen Nishimoto and
Steve and Rosie Dodder joined Matt Luttinen, Margie and I for Saturday
night.

Margie cooked a delicious meal for Saturday, and we ate ham and sweet
potatoes while we were awed at a beautiful Arizona sunset.  Glen had cooked
a pineapple upside down cake and Jennifer blew out the candles on it as we
sang Happy Birthday to her--off key.  I think she was 26.  Jennifer, can I
borrow some money?

Matt and I did some side by side observing, putting the same object in both
my Nexstar 11 and his 14 1/4 inch f/7 Newtonian.  It was fun to trade views
with different eyepieces and filters.  We spent some time on M 76 in Perseus
and hunted up several Minkowski planetaries in Cepheus and Perseus.

I am sorry that I did not get a chance to look through Glen's new 8 inch
Ultima SCT.  It certainly is pretty to look at....I will make time to look
through it in the future.

A fun time like this always reminds me why I enjoy being a member of this
group.  I know it was cloudy, but we had a thoroughly enjoyable
time...thanks to all who could fit some observing into their holiday
schedule.

Take Care;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org