[AZ-Observing] Re: Sentinel Friday Night and Sat. Night

  • From: Joe Larkin <joeclarkin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:57:49 -0800 (PST)

Saturday was a great night for observing. My older son (7) came out with me and
he got to see a few nice objects. His favorite part was probably the video
games on the trip out, but I think he appreciated observing too.

I brought out my 16" dob which I bought from George Delange back in November
2003. It's first really good night for me after some TLC was in Sentinel in
December 2003. I haven't gotten out since Spring, so I was due for some
observing.

I observed only 1 new to me object, NGC 1326. Somehow I missed observing it
back in 2003 at Sentinel and Vekol when I observed many objects in Fornax,
including the galaxy group just a couple of degrees away.

M33 was great, the Pleides showed nebulousity. M42 showed off 6 stars in the
trapezium. The zodiacal light at 5am was very apparent and I think I spotted
the gegenschein in Tauros earlier in the evening.

I finally fixed my eq platform so I had tracking to look at the Eskimo Nebula
at somewhat ridiculous power (up to 580x). It showed some good detail. For me,
the objects that seem to take power the best are Planetary Nebulae and the
Moon.

Seeing seemed pretty good, even though Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars didn't show
too much detail. It's funny to say, but it was a typical good night for
Sentinel. Most amateurs never see such skies.

I haven't been observing much recently, only a couple of nights this year, so a
great night was appreciated.

All in all a very successful outing.

Joe Larkin