[AZ-Observing] Possible Aurora Tonight

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 09:47:39 -0700

Spaceweather.com says, "Twisted magnetic fields above sunspot 9866 erupted
at 2315 UT on March 15th. The blast sparked a 12-hour-long M2-class solar
flare and hurled a full-halo coronal mass ejection toward Earth. The
expanding cloud will likely sweep past our planet late Sunday or Monday.
Sky watchers should be alert for auroras especially during the hours around
local midnight."

The responsible sunspot group is currently very nealy centered on the solar
disc.

You might also check the Kp index throughout the day.  I think Chris
Schur's observation has been that Arizona gets "photographic aurorae" when
it climbs above 6.  The plot may be found at:

http://www.maj.com/sun/images/noaa_kp_3d.gif?

Tom

---

Tom Polakis