[AZ-Observing] Possible Aurora Tonight

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:01:19

The space weather pages are showing possible aurora activity again.

Chris Schur tells me that auroral activity can sometimes be seen in Arizona
when the Kp index exceeds 6.  It is currently (5 p.m.) at 8.  Track it
three-quarters of the way down this page.

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/today.html

He also says that we also want the magnetic field component to point south.
 The top left dial chart on this page currently has it pointing north.

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html

Anyway, might be worth a look to the north, as it's clear, unlike last Sunday.

Tom