[AZ-Observing] Over the Lunar South Pole

  • From: Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rik Hill <rhill24@xxxxxxx>, Az-Observing List <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mike Bakich Astronomy <mbakich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steve Coe <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>, EVAC list <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jerry Bonnell APOD\)" <bonnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Joe Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Albert Levy <alevy1@xxxxxxxxxx>, John O'Farrell <jofarrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Thelma/John Ofarrell <thelmaann@xxxxxxx>, ARTHUR PICCINATI <apiccinati@xxxxxxxxx>, "Rick Rotramel AZ77\)" <rick.rotramel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robert Nemiroff APOD <nemiroff@xxxxxxx>, Lon Shelton <bitsylon@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Tierney <palaeopaul@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Vince <ne7y@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 18:38:33 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

Only rarely in several years do we have a near maximum
southern Lunar Libration approaching 7 degrees.  At
that time we are able to see the area around the south
pole in the best possible clarity.  This is going to
be a very important area in the next few decades, in
that Malapert Mountain on the pole is a "Peak of
Eternal Light" which means it gets sunlight nearly all
of the time.  That is why it is at this time the
chosen location for the upcoming permanent lunar base.

Here is a shot of this region I took on the 22nd, we
only had 2 days to get it before the opportunity was
gone!

http://www.schursastrophotography.com/ccdmoonplanets/pole122207.html

OR

http://tinyurl.com/2t34l2